Premium
This is an archive article published on December 19, 2011

Parents ‘bleed’ over nursery admissions

Distributed by the apathy of the state government over the demand for a centralised admission process for pre-primary schools,parents in the city resorted to a token protest by holding a blood donation camp on Sunday.

Distributed by the apathy of the state government over the demand for a centralised admission process for pre-primary schools,parents in the city resorted to a token protest by holding a blood donation camp on Sunday.

On December 3,they had sent letters with a set of 21 demands to the state school education minister,the Directorate of Education and the chief minister.

Mutin Mujawar from Shikshan Haqq Manch,which had organised the protest,said,“Since December last year we have been demanding government action against corruption in nursery admissions. However,all our protests have fallen on deaf ears. We have decided to keep our protests peaceful and follow satyagraha way,but we have got no results.”

Apart from the centralised nursery admissions,the other 20 demands by them include change in policies towards unaided institutions,stern action against those involved with the school enrollment fraud in Nanded,the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) taking stock of the situation in their schools and adopt measures like biometric attendance for its teachers and staff,grading system for teachers on their performance to decide their salaries and making it compulsory for all government servants to send their kids to government schools.

Mujawar added that the saytagraha protests by them have been planned keeping in mind the ongoing assembly session in Nagpur. The protesters hope the policy makers of the state will take notice of their demands. “If we don’t see action being taken soon,we plan to step up our protest and take it to other cities as well,” he said.

“The school education department has no control over nursery admissions as of now. Even the Union human resource development minister Kapil Sibal is of the view that no formal education is needed for children under the age of six. Parents writing to our department is of no use. We have no authority in this matter,” said an official from the school education department.


Click here to join Express Pune WhatsApp channel and get a curated list of our stories

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Loading Taboola...
Advertisement