Premium
This is an archive article published on February 8, 2024

India does not trust America to lead… played it smart, and stayed close with Russia, says Nikki Haley

"The problem is, India doesn't trust us to win. They don't trust us to lead. They see right now that we're weak," Nikki Haley said in an interview.

Aspiring Republican presidential candidate Nikki HaleyAspiring Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley. (Photo via her Facebook page)

Republican presidential hopeful Nikki Haley said on Wednesday that India wants to be a partner with the United States, not Russia, but does not trust Washington to lead.

Speaking to Fox Business News in an interview, Haley, a former US ambassador to the United Nations in the Donald Trump government, said that she has dealt with India and talked with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, adding that New Delhi has played smart in the current global situation and stayed close with Russia.

Responding to a question, she said, “I have dealt with India too. I have got to say, I have dealt with India too. I have talked with Modi. India wants to be a partner with us. They don’t want to be a partner with Russia.”

“The problem is, India doesn’t trust us to win. They don’t trust us to lead. They see right now that we’re weak. India has always played it smart. They have played it smart, and they have stayed close with Russia, because that’s where they get a lot of their military equipment,” she added.

“When we start to lead again, when we start to get the weakness out and stop putting our head in the sand, that’s when our friends, India, Australia, New Zealand, all of them will — and Israel, Japan, South Korea — all of them want to do that. Japan gave themselves a billion-dollar stimulus to become less dependent on China,” Haley said, as per a PTI report.

“India gave themselves a billion-dollar stimulus to become less dependent on China,” she told Fox Business News. Haley also claimed that China is preparing for a war with the US and that the Chinese government has become “more controlling”.

“Financially, they’re not doing well. You see their government has become more controlling. They have been preparing for war with us for years. That’s their mistake,” she said.

Story continues below this ad

The 51-year-old diplomat and former governor of South Carolina is the sole contender against former President Donald Trump for the ticket for Republican party nominee for the upcoming US Presidential polls. She has been launching a spirited attack against Trump and his potential Democratic contender, current President Joe Biden, terming them “Grumpy Old Men”.

Last week, Haley’s campaign said that she had requested the US Secret Service for protection. Haley was targeted in two “swatting” incidents on December 30 and January 1.

Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement