Premium
This is an archive article published on July 4, 2013

Maoists were spotted in Pakur dist in April

Although considered to be a district relatively free of Maoist presence,Pakur had seen movement of several rebel cadres in April this year

Although considered to be a district relatively free of Maoist presence,Pakur had seen movement of several rebel cadres in April this year. They were spotted about 30-40 km from the ambush site where six policemen,including SP Amarjit Balihar,were killed on Tuesday.

Former CRPF DG K Vijay Kumar,who served as adviser on Naxal operations to the Governor till last week,told The Indian Express,Pakur is not completely free of Maoist activities but it is certainly not a hot bed like Palamu and Dumka districts. In April this year,forces had spotted the movement of rebels around 30-40 km from the place of attack.

A senior official said the spot where the attack took place was carefully chosen by the rebels as there was a road depression connecting a newly built culvert,where the convoy was bound to slow down. As soon as the convoy slowed down,the Maoists who had positioned themselves nearby sprayed bullets on it.

It was a carefully chosen spot. The culvert was completed only three-four days ago but the depression was yet to be filled in. To cross it,all vehicles were bound to slow down, said a senior official.

 

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement