Smoke billows after a fire broke out in a building, in Mangaf, Kuwait, Wednesday, June 12, 2024. At least 41 people were killed, according to officials. (PTI Photo)A mechanic who became a supervisor, an electrician who learnt accountancy — those who perished in the Kuwait fire had worked their way up to a better life, so they could sustain their families back home in Kerala.
Among them was 48-year-old Vadakkottuvilayil Lukose, a supervisor with NBTC group, which has K G Abraham, a businessman from Kerala, as its managing director.
Lukose hailed from Adichanalloor panchayat in Kollam, and had been in Kuwait for the last 18 years. “He was supposed to come home next month for the college admission of his eldest daughter, Lidiya, who cleared class 12 with A-plus in all subjects. Lukose was excited and proud of her results. Before moving to Kuwait, he was a mechanic back home,” said L Shaji, a member of the panchayat.
He is survived by his wife Shiny, a homemaker, and two daughters — Loys, who studies in class 5, and Lidiya.
Another victim, K Ranjith, 33, had been working as an accountant with the NBTC. A family friend said Ranjith, who hailed from Cherkala in Kasaragod, was in fact on leave. “He was to fly home, but stayed back at the labour camp as his ticket couldn’t be confirmed,” said P Sivaprasad.
Ranjith, a bachelor, had been in Kuwait for the last 10 years. An electrician by profession, he joined the NBTC in its catering section before moving his way up to the post of accountant. “He came home two years ago when their new house was constructed. He was planning to marry when he returned this time,” Sivaprasad said.
Ranjith is survived by his father Raveendran, mother Rugmini and two siblings.
Shameer Umarudheen, 30, also lost his life in the blaze. A native of Sasthamkotta in Kollam, he had been working as a driver with the NBTC group.
Shameer Umarudheen from Kollam worked as a driver.
His relative Savad said he was employed with the firm for the last five years. “He was a driver in Kollam too before moving to Kuwait. Shameer visited Kerala eight months ago… A relative working in Kuwait informed us about the tragedy and identified his body,” said Savad.
He is survived by his wife Surumi and parents Ummerudheen and Sabeena. He is the second of the couple’s three sons. “He got married three years ago and had been struggling to keep the family running,” said Savad.
A majority of the deceased were Indian nationals aged between 20 and 50 years, working for the private company, The Arab Times reported. The building that went up in flames housed over 195 workers.
Ponmaleri Kelu, 58, another victim from Kerala, was working as an engineer with NBTC. Before moving to Kuwait a decade ago, Kelu, a resident of Thrikkaripur in Kasaragod, had worked in various companies in India. His wife K N Mani works as a clerk at the panchayat office in Kasaragod’s Peelikode. The couple have two children.