Sudan’s top military leader, Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, has rejected a new ceasefire. (Screengrab/X/@Aesalerte) Sudan’s top military leader, Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, has rejected a new ceasefire proposal put forward by US-led mediators, calling it “the worst yet”, the Associated Press (AP) reported on Monday.
In a video message released late Sunday, Burhan said the plan was unacceptable and accused the mediators of being “biased” in their efforts to end Sudan’s 30-month war. “If the mediation continues in this direction, we will consider it to be biased mediation,” he said.
Sudan descended into conflict in April 2023 when a power struggle between the army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) turned into full-scale fighting in Khartoum and other regions. The war has killed more than 40,000 people, according to UN estimates, though aid agencies believe the real toll is far higher. More than 14 million people have been displaced, and parts of the country face famine.
Also read: Crisis in Sudan: Current trigger, old faultlines, and the human cost
The latest proposal comes from the Quad the US, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates — which has been trying for more than two years to secure a ceasefire and revive a political transition halted by a 2021 coup.
Earlier this month, a US adviser for African affairs, Massad Boulos, told AP that the plan involves a three-month humanitarian pause followed by a nine-month political process. The RSF has said it accepts the truce.
Burhan, however, argued that the proposal “eliminates the Armed Forces, dissolves security agencies and keeps the militia where they are”, referring to the RSF. He accused the US adviser of trying to “impose some conditions on us” and added, “We fear that Massad Boulos will be an obstacle to the peace that all the people of Sudan seek.”
He also criticised the UAE, saying that as a member of the Quad it could not be “innocent of responsibility”, noting that “the entire world has witnessed the UAE’s support for the rebels”. AP reported earlier this month that US intelligence assessments have for months found that the UAE has sent weapons to the RSF, according to a US official who spoke on condition of anonymity. The UAE denies the allegation.
Also read: Why Sudan remains trapped in prolonged civil war
Burhan rejected claims that the army is influenced by Islamists or that it used chemical weapons, an accusation made by the Trump administration in May.
He said the army would only accept a ceasefire if the RSF fully withdraws from civilian areas so displaced families can return home before any political talks begin. “We’re not warmongers, and we don’t reject peace,” he said. “But no one can threaten us or dictate terms to us.”
UN Secretary-General António Guterres called on Monday for an immediate ceasefire, a halt to arms transfers and safe humanitarian access.