Premium
This is an archive article published on November 10, 2023

‘Ban on cab entry akin to mobility lockdown’: Uber writes to L-G, Delhi govt

Delhi Environment Minister Gopal Rai said on Wednesday that the department had been directed to ban app-based taxis “in accordance with the Supreme Court’s orders”.

Uber writes to L-G, Delhi govt, Uber, V K Saxena, Vinai Kumar Saxena, delhi news, India news, Indian express, Indian express India news, Indian express IndiaDelhi Lieutenant Governor VK Saxena
Listen to this article
‘Ban on cab entry akin to mobility lockdown’: Uber writes to L-G, Delhi govt
x
00:00
1x 1.5x 1.8x

Cab aggregator Uber has written to Delhi Lieutenant Governor VK Saxena and the transport commissioner, calling the probable ban on entry of cabs registered outside the national capital similar to a “mobility lockdown” for citizens.

Delhi Environment Minister Gopal Rai said on Wednesday that the department had been directed to ban app-based taxis “in accordance with the Supreme Court’s orders”.

Sources said that the contours of the action are being decided but the ban will come into effect only during the implementation of Odd-Even.

“There is a likelihood that cab registered in other states will have to follow the odd-even directive while those registered in Delhi will not,” the Delhi government source said.

Uber, in its letter, urged for an “all-encompassing view” based on scientific evidence. “We would like to bring to your attention that every single one of the 70,000 cars on the Uber platform across Delhi-NCR runs on clean fuel — CNG or electric — as opposed to private vehicles which run on petrol or diesel which are the more polluting fuels. Any shift from private vehicles to CNG or electric cabs would only abate the pollution by encouraging people to move to cleaner fuels,” it wrote.

Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Loading Taboola...
Advertisement