Premium
This is an archive article published on September 10, 2023

Protest in Surat against move to reserve areas where residential societies have come up

The residents submitted a letter to M V Chavda, the Katargam Zonal head of Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC), on Saturday.

Reserve residential societies area, surat residential society protest, Surat against move, surat residential societies, indian express newsSimilar notices have also been issued to residential societies of Dabholi, said a protester, adding that over 65,000 people from residential societies in Katargam have been affected. (Representational Image)
Listen to this article
Protest in Surat against move to reserve areas where residential societies have come up
x
00:00
1x 1.5x 1.8x

Residents of Katargam in Surat on Saturday protested against a government notification issued last month, under which residential societies were asked to raise objections over the state’s decision to reserve areas — on which the societies had been built — for three town planning schemes.

The residents submitted a letter to M V Chavda, the Katargam Zonal head of Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC), on Saturday. This was after the notice issued by SMC stated that people can voice their objections to the civic body by September 9.

Similar notices have also been issued to residential societies of Dabholi, said a protester, adding that over 65,000 people from residential societies in Katargam have been affected. After receiving the notices, residents had contacted Katargam BJP MLA and former MoS Veenubhai Moradiya as well as former Cabinet minister and Patidar leader Nanubhai Vanani for help.

Moradiya said, “When I was a minister in the previous government, I had come across such schemes and had requested the government to not to reserve areas on which residential societies have come up. My request was taken into consideration and the new town planning officers were told to make changes. After the 2022 Assembly elections, I stepped down and again the old reservation schemes were considered by the government and the notification was issued.”

“Areas belonging to residential societies built 30 years ago have also been reserved. We will make representation to the competent authorities in the coming days,” he added.

Vanani told The Indian Express, “…to give benefit to a few builder lobbies, areas belonging to residential societies have been reserved. The decision is against middle class residents.”

Vanani said that a committee of 15 members, named Katargam Vikas Samithi, has been set up to spearhead the agitation.

Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Loading Taboola...
Advertisement