Journalism of Courage
Premium

Tanzanian woman was not stripped, paraded naked: Karnataka Home Minister

Speaking on the attack of a Tanzanian woman, Karnataka home minister read out the woman's complaint, saying nowhere does it mention that she was stripped and paraded naked.

The Tanzanian woman alleged that she was stripped and forced to walk naked in public by a mob that went on a rampage and set fire to her car after a road accident in Bengaluru.
Advertisement

Karnataka Home Minister G Parmeshwara on Thursday said that a Tanzanian woman student – who alleged that she was attacked and  her car was burnt by a mob – was not stripped and paraded naked in Bengaluru.

Facing a volley of questions at a press conference, Parmeshwara said those responsible for the attack will not be spared and that the case has already been transferred to the crime branch.

“Some more arrests are going to be made depending on the inquiry. The case has been transferred to the Central Crime Branch for investigation,” he said, adding that there was no racism behind the attack and it was ‘just a response’ to an earlier accident.

Watch The Attack On Tanzanian Woman Had An Element of Racism & Mob Justice: Envoy

[related-post]

Bengaluru doesn’t have such kind of an attitude,” Parmeshwara said.

At the press conference, the minister read out the woman’s complaint, saying nowhere does it mention that she was stripped and paraded naked. He however maintained that this was according to preliminary reports and that a full report was expected in 48 hours.

He also said that the government was taking the case very seriously and that the DGP and the Commissioner of Police went to the spot on Thursday and  spoke to the affected students. “It’s clear we are taking this seriously,” he said.

Story continues below this ad

Also read | Tanzania woman attack in Bengaluru: Police arrest 5, Siddaramaiah assures justice

Earlier on Thursday, the Bengaluru city police arrested five people following the complaint where the woman accused a mob of stripping her and forcing her to walk ‘without her top’ on the street, news agency ANI reported.

The alleged incident took place following a road accident earlier that day, when a car driven by a Sudanese medical student hit a local resident, 35-year-old Sabeen Taj, who died in the accident, while her husband Sanuallah sustained injuries. The complaint was filed on January 31.

Curated For You

Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram

Tags:
  • Bengaluru G Parmeshwara Karnataka
Edition
Install the Express App for
a better experience
Featured
Trending Topics
News
Multimedia
Follow Us
Just InCommon chest infection lands patient in ICU: Doctors reveal how antibiotic misuse is fuelling a crisis
X