Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram

A massive fire is ravaging a residential block in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district. So far, the fire is known to have claimed at least 83 lives and injured a lot more. The fire broke out at the Wang Fuk Court residential complex on Wednesday, which is home to thousands of families. The complex had been under renovation for at least a year. The exact cause of the fire is being investigated, but locals said they had often found cigarette butts outside their sealed windows before the tragedy, as per the BBC.
Hong Kong Tai Po Apartment Fire LIVE Updates: Death toll rises to 55, over 100 injured
What compounded evacuation efforts was the fact that hundreds of the residents are elderly people. Many also have pets in their homes. Locals said, the death toll could rise even further as they fear many are still trapped in the inferno. The fire and smoke has made it difficult to breathe in the area, so much so that a 37-year-old firefighter was also during search rescue operations.
Moreover, the complex is densely populated, making evacuation a challenge. The blaze quickly spread to seven of the eight buildings at Wang Fuk Court.
The fire in Tai Po district’s Wang Fuk Court affected thousands of people. The complex comprises around 2,000 apartments, where 4,800 residents live.
As the news of the fire broke, around 200 fire trucks and over 100 ambulances were pressed into service for the search and rescue operations. The sheer height of the towers, which are 31-storey-high made it difficult for the firemen to reach the apartments. Many are feared to be trapped in the upper floors.
Find the latest updates on the death toll and rescue efforts in the Hong Kong Fire here.
So far, the exact cause of the fire is unknown. Locals news website BBC spoke to said the tragedy could have been prevented had a few safety measures been taken in time.
They told BBC that they were apprehensive of such an incident unfolding as they often found cigarette butts discarded outside the windows. They suspect the workers smoked while carrying out the renovation works and discarded the butts there. Moreover, many of the fire alarms had been switched off for renovation.
The windows were sealed shut for the renovation which hindered rescue efforts. According to officials, firefighters discovered flammable polystyrene boards blocking windows, and the panels bore the name of the construction company. Other materials found in the apartments — such as protective nets, canvas sheets, and plastic coverings — are suspected of falling short of safety requirements.
The fire rapidly spread due to the flammable materials left behind and the bamboo scaffoldings used to carry out the renovation works.
A criminal investigation has been launched into the incident, reported local news website RTHK.
Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram