In December last year, at least 15 workers were trapped inside a mine in East Jaintia Hills district and are believed to have died, even though rescue operations are still on.
The Guild said the court’s order, “which among other things imposes a fine along with a threat of imprisonment and a ban on the publication, is intimidatory and undermines press freedom”.
The contempt order — against editor Patricia Mukhim and publisher Shobha Chaudhuri — came regarding two reports published in The Shillong Times, on December 6 and 10 last year, about a court order seeking better facilities for retired judges and their families.
At least 15 workers were trapped and feared dead inside the mine in Ksan area on December 13 — and rescue operations have been on since then.
A bench comprising Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice Sanjiv Khanna issued notice to the HC registrar on the plea filed by Advocate Sona Khan and others, who contended that the judgment authored by Justice S R Sen was “legally flawed and historically misleading”.
On January 28, the apex court was informed that body of a person, among the 15 miners trapped, was retrieved while another body was spotted by the Indian Navy.
"It is a non-violent way of reacting to what has been going on for the last 2-3 decades... we have been fighting the separatists in Kashmir with limited success, we have not been able to subjugate them - our soldiers are dying."
"An appeal from a retired colonel of the Indian Army: Don't visit Kashmir, don't go to Amarnath for the next 2 years. Don't buy articles from Kashmir emporia or Kashmiri tradesman who come every winter. Boycott everything Kashmiri. I am inclined to agree," he tweeted.
The incident took place at Chanangpara village of the district on Thursday night, and according to the district’s police chief, the mob at its peak was 3000-odd strong.
The Kolkata Police chief has already spent more than 30 hours over the past four days inside the highly secured CBI office.
Besides being in power in Meghalaya, the NPP backs the BJP governments in Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Nagaland.
The two-judge bench comprising Justices AK Sikri and S Abdul Nazeer scheduled the next hearing on February 4.
The first body was detected on January 17 inside the mine at a depth of 160 feet and at a lateral distance of 210 feet.
The body was found 280 feet inside the rat hole mine by divers from the Navy.
Hussain, 30, is survived by his mother, wife and three children, aged 2, 7 and 9 years. This was his second stint in the mines. Earlier, during the summer of 2018, he went for a month and according to his family, earned around Rs 60,000.
Official spokesperson of the rescue operation R Susngi said the body was "fully intact" and that this was the same body which was earlier detected by the Navy.
Navy divers, who had suspended their operation on Sunday on the advice of the district administration, along with NDRF personnel, used remotely operated vehicles.
“Presumably, and as per latest reports, the bodies of the remaining miners are behind the body detected on 16.01.2019,” the state said in its status report even as the Centre told the court that rescue operations would not be abandoned.
The families of those trapped inside the mine, now at least want their bodies recovered — even if it’s just a finger, a hand or a leg.
Chief Minister Conrad Sangma told reporters that it did not look like rescuers would be able to retrieve the body.