There are no national or international acceptable standards for PM1 concentration in the air, unlike those for PM2.5 and PM10. But studies across the world have indicated a link between the pollutant and cardio-vascular disease.
According to Puri, the initial understanding between the Centre and the Delhi government was that the former would fund 80% of the project, while the remaining 20% would be provided by the Delhi government.
Every October, the air quality in Delhi, Punjab and Haryana plummets as farmers set the leftover stubble and loose straw on fire after paddy is harvested using combines. And this time, too, the smoke signals from the fields are ominous
According to a senior forest department official, plantations, which are done by the forest department, survive the best. The government has ordered a third-party audit of other plantation sites in the city.
"Now we know that at a short notice a mob can assemble. It will want justice here and now. Society appears to be on a short fuse, and at times lacking a sense of humour," said Justice S Muralidhar said.
“Over the past few months, things have started warming up between the few disgruntled MLAs and the party and this was evident in Assembly sessions where both Pushkar and Sehrawat have been supporting the party stand,” AAP spokesperson Saurabh Bharadwaj said.
The High Court had passed the order on the petition against redevelopment in seven south Delhi colonies, to be carried out by National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC) and Central Public Works Department (CPWD).
In the process of redesigning the redevelopment plans for seven government colonies in South Delhi, chairperson-cum-managing director of the National Buildings Construction Corporation, Anoop Kumar Mittal, says they are conducting a tree census in Sarojini Nagar to find out the age, trunk girth and species of trees.
Despite framing rules, proposing fines and starting ‘model colonies’, waste segregation in the capital has failed to take off. With mountains of garbage continuing to grow, The Indian Express reports on the challenges before authorities.