The Defence Ministry, Rajnath Singh said, is “ready for a big push to Atmanirbhar Bharat initiative”, and will “introduce import embargo on 101 items beyond the given timeline to boost indigenisation of defence production”.
Announcing the policy, Singh said that the Defence Ministry is “now ready for a big push to Atmanirbhar Bharat initiative” and will introduce “import embargo on 101 items beyond given timeline to boost indigenisation of defence production”.
When contacted on Thursday, the Defence Ministry spokesperson declined to comment on why the document had been pulled from the Ministry’s website. Based on what the document said, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi of “lying”
Two days after the talks were held, the high-powered China Study Group (CSG) reviewed the Chinese proposal Tuesday and asked the Army to convey that the proposal of “mutual and equal” disengagement at Pangong was “not acceptable” to India.
The Army is preparing for extra provisions for additional troops who have been moved to the LAC amid the standoff with the Chinese. What does it take to keep a soldier battle-fit in such harsh conditions?
The “need for another military or diplomatic meeting is being felt,” the source said, especially over the situation in Pangong Tso where “some differences have emerged” on the “status and claims” of the LAC and rearward movement of troops. The disengagement and de-escalation processes, the source said, are “presently stalled”.
In a terse statement on the fourth round of talks between XIV Corps Commander Lt General Harinder Singh and South Xinjiang Military Region Commander Major General Liu Lin, the Army said the two sides “are taking it forward through regular meetings at diplomatic and military level”.
The terse statement diverges from previous meetings which had been termed positive. It also hints that more conversations at both diplomatic and military levels will be needed to resolve the standoff, which is now in its 12th week.
While both Indian and Chinese troops have shown some pullback at the four friction points, including the north bank of Pangong Tso, further reduction in the number of troops and the distance between them were to be discussed by the Corps Commanders on Tuesday.
The meeting will start Tuesday morning at the Chushul border point with Moldo — the first two meetings took place at Moldo on the Chinese side on June and June 22 while the third meeting was at Chushul.
This clears the decks for another round of talks, especially on Pangong Tso where even after some thinning out, Chinese troops are still present in large numbers at Finger 4 on the northern banks of the lake.
Among the key measures, the Cabinet gave its nod to extend the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana, which provides for allocation of foodgrain from the Central pool, until November with an additional estimated expenditure of Rs 76,062 crore.
Both sides, sources said, have moved back troops by more than 1 km at each of these locations and neither side will patrol the de facto buffer zones as long as the current tensions continue. These limits on patrolling, sources said, will not be permanent.
According to a senior Army officer, the Chinese military camp at PP14 in Galwan Valley, reconstructed at the site of the June 15 clashes in which 20 Indian Army personnel were killed, has been completely dismantled and all tents have been uprooted. Troops and material have been taken back in vehicles.