The administration had ordered the opening of schools in a gradual manner once restrictions across the Valley were eased weeks into the shutdown. But students had largely stayed home, with parents unwilling to risk sending them in the absence of mobile connectivity.
The two killed — village sarpanch Syed Rafi and Sheikh Zahoor — were part of the Jammu and Kashmir administration’s “back to the village” programme, a public outreach initiative in militancy-hit areas.
According to the government circular, dated November 22, “This year, the celebrations will be marked by reading of the Preamble to the Constitution in all the institutions, government offices and other establishments,” it said.
“Our conclusion, which we will put in the report as well, is that the government is misleading people with regard to normalcy in J&K. Things are not at all normal. There is shock with the announcements of August 5. There is anger, but it is restrained,” Sinha said.
"On way to Srinagar, Kashmir with the Concerned Citizens Group to make an independent assessment of the situation on the ground and the economic loss caused by the government's action. Hope will be allowed to enter," Sinha had tweeted earlier in the day.
In a letter to Shah, Fayaz wrote, “On 5 August, 2019, the Government of India took the decision to abrogate Article 370 and bifurcate the state into two (Union Territories). Since then, Jammu and Kashmir has seen a massive rise in the presence of armed forces and the severe curtailment of human rights.”
All eight personnel were pulled out of the avalanche debris, and seven persons who were critically injured, were taken by helicopters to the nearest Military Hospital, the Srinagar-based defence spokesperson said.
Police officials said Pakistan violated the ceasefire in Taad sector of Tangdhar area. “The shelling continued for several hours in the morning, and since then situation is peaceful,” an official in Tangdhar said. “The Indian Army retaliated to the ceasefire violation.”