1. Kaddu Khus Khus ka Halwa
2 kg yellow pumpkin (kaddu)
8 tbsp poppy seeds (khus khus)
½ cup sugar, or to taste
seeds of 6-8 green cardamoms (elaichi)
1 tbsp saffron – dissolve in 1 tbsp hot water
½ cup ghee
250-300 gm khoya – grated
2 tbsp chironji
2 tbsp raisins (kishmish)
1 silver leaf (vark)
a few green pistachios – blanched and sliced
* Peel & chop pumpkin into small pieces.
* Clean and wash the poppy seeds well.
* Place the pumpkin in a cooker with ¼ cup water and give 2 whistles, remove from heat.
* Place the cooked pumpkin in a kadhai and mash it with a kadchi. Add the poppy seeds, crushed cardamom seeds and saffron. Cook on medium heat till water evaporates and the pumpkin turns dry.
* Add the sugar and stir till dry. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
* Add ghee and cook for 10 minutes on low heat to get a rich brown colour.
* Add the khoya, raisins and chironji. Mix well.
* Serve hot garnished with vark & pistachios.
(Recipe courtesy: Nita Mehta)