Pervez Musharraf suffers a severe heart attack,fails to appear before court

Musharraf was summoned by the court to attend the hearing today.

Written by PTI | Islamabad | Published: January 2, 2014 4:02:50 pm

Former Pakistani military dictator Pervez Musharraf has suffered a severe heart attack. He is conscious but admitted to Critical Care Unit,APML spokesperson to said.

Mushraff was admitted to an army hospital after he complained of “heart problem” on his way to a special court to face trial in a high treason case.

“We can confirm that former president Musharraf is admitted in a military hospital in Rawalpindi,Pakistan. He is conscious,oriented in time and space and is being examined by Pakistani military doctors,” Dr Raza Bokhari,international spokesperson of Musharraf,said in a statement.

“We pray to Allah for his speedy and full recovery”.

DIG Jan Mohammad informed the special court that Musharraf,70,was rushed to the Armed Forces Institute for Cardiology in Rawalpindi after he complained of heart problem on the way to the court.

The former military ruler is accused of suspending,subverting and abrogating the constitution,imposing an emergency in the country in November 2007 and detaining judges of the superior courts.

If convicted,Musharraf could face life imprisonment or the death penalty.

Outside the court,Musharraf’s lawyer Ahmed Raza Kasuri said,”He wanted to come to the court but his health deteriorated suddenly and hence was rushed to Armed Forces Institute of Cardiology. My God keep him well.”

Asked if Musharraf was afraid of court,Kasuri said,”He is a commando and a commando’s temperament is that he is not afraid.”

Musharraf had twice failed to appear before the court after bombs were found on his route. On Thursday he had left his sprawling farmhouse in Chak Shahzad but the long motorcade was diverted to the hospital in midway.

Earlier in the day,high drama was witnessed at the special court where Musharraf’s lawyer Anwar Mansoor staged a walk-out,citing a lack of sleep over alleged disturbances outside the door of his residence.

“I was under total threat… from 1:00 am to 5 in the morning someone was ringing my bell,” Mansoor told the court,adding he had never faced such an incident in his 40-year career. The court promised to probe but he walked out of court,followed by other members of Musharraf’s legal team.

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App