scorecardresearch
Wednesday, Sep 28, 2022

Death toll rises to 62 in China’s pipeline blast

About 136 people were hospitalised and 14 were discharged from hospital earlier.

The death toll from an oil pipeline blast in Qingdao City of China’s eastern Shandong Province rose to 62 after the body of the last missing person was retrieved,rescue officials said om Monday.

About 136 people were hospitalised and 14 were discharged from hospital earlier,they said. Initial reports put the death toll at 55 and the number of missing at 9. Two victims had been mistakenly counted as missing,state-run Xinhua news agency quoted police as saying.

Crude oil began leaking from the underground pipeline operated by Sinopec in Qingdao’s Huangdao District. The spill then flowed into the city’s sewage network,which empties into the Jiaozhou Bay. Explosions ripped through residential and commercial roads in Huangdao on November 22 while workers were clearing the spill.

Subscriber Only Stories
Dibang hydel project: Arunachal says no land for national park, NGT drops...Premium
15 stations, 14 km: Shimla aims to decongest roads with ropeway transitPremium
Resigned as CM after being told only the previous night by BJP high comma...Premium
UPSC Key-September 27, 2022: Why you should read ‘Mankading’ or ‘Rarest o...Premium

First published on: 03-12-2013 at 11:07:00 am
Next Story

Bob Dylan investigated in France for ‘racist’ comments

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement