US condemns North Korea for missile testing

The US described the move by the hermit nation as "threatening" and "provocative"

By: PTI | Washington | Updated: June 22, 2016 8:10:03 am
US, North Korea, missile testing, North korea missile testing, missile testing in North Korea, US North Korea, US North Korea relations, world news, US news, North Korea news, latest news An underwater test-fire of strategic submarine ballistic missile released by North Korea’s Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang on. (Source: REUTERS)

The US has strongly condemned the North Koreas launch of two ballistic missiles describing the move by the hermit nation as “threatening and provocative.”

“We strongly condemn these and North Korea’s other recent missile tests, which violate UN Security Council Resolutions explicitly prohibiting North Korea’s launches using ballistic missile technology,” State Department Spokesman John Kirby told reporters yesterday.

“The US is aware of the reports that North Korea fired two ballistic missiles. We are monitoring and continuing to assess the situation in close coordination with our regional allies and partners,” he said.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

Watch Video: What’s making news

UN resolutions ban North Korea from any use of ballistic missile technology, although it regularly fires short-range missiles into the sea off its east coast.

“These provocations only serve to increase the international community’s resolve to counter the North Korean’s prohibited activities, including through implementing existing UN Security Council sanctions,” Kirby said.

The US intends to raise its concerns at the United Nations to bolster international resolve in holding the North Korean accountable for these provocative actions.

Stressing the need for a united response, he said the US will stand with its allies, including the Republic of Korea and Japan to defend from any attack or provocation.

“Our commitment to the defence of our allies, including the Republic of Korea and Japan, in the face of these threats, remains Ironclad. We remain prepared to defend ourselves and our allies from any attack or provocation,” he said.

“We call on North Korea to refrain from actions that further raise tensions in the region and focus instead on taking concrete steps toward fulfilling its commitments and international obligations,” the spokesman said.

Earlier in the day, the US President Barack Obama extended national emergency against North Korea.

Describing the move as “destabilising and provocative action” Obama said, “North Korea’s pursuit of nuclear and missile programs and other provocative, destabilising and repressive action and policies continue to constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States.”

Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement