Britain’s minister in charge of exiting the European Union will set out more detail on the government’s plans for Brexit in a statement to parliament on Monday, amid growing international unease over how it will pan out.
Since Britain’s June 23 vote to leave the bloc, the government has given little away about its plans for Brexit, focusing instead on preparing for formal negotiations which it has said will not begin before the end of the year.
“This is an historic and positive moment for our nation. Brexit isn’t about making the best of a bad job. It is about seizing the huge and exciting opportunities that will flow from a new place for Britain in the world,” Brexit minister David Davis said in a statement ahead of his address to parliament.
“There will be new freedoms, new opportunities, new horizons for this great country.”
On Sunday May said the statement would be “about the work that the government has been doing over the summer and obviously how we are going to take that forward in shaping the sort of relationship we want with the EU.”
Many both in the EU and further afield are keen for Britain to begin the talks and end uncertainty that has hurt investment.
On the eve of this weekend’s G20 summit in China, Japan published a 15-page report warning that Britain’s exit from the EU could prompt Japanese financial institutions to relocate from London and listing concerns from Japanese companies about the transition away from the EU.
Last week May gathered her cabinet team for the first time since she asked them to use the summer break to come up with options for Britain’s future ties with the bloc after a divorce.
Following that meeting the government said it would seek a unique rather than “off-the-shelf” relationship with the EU, involving controls on immigration as well as a good deal for those who trade in goods and services.
During a trip to Northern Ireland on Thursday, Davis said Britain would ideally have tariff-free access to the EU’s single market.