Nine people drowned on Saturday when a boat they were travelling in capsized in the Kenyan waters of Lake Victoria, an official said.
The boat was carrying 17 people, mostly members of a local musical band, who were heading to an evening performance when it capsized, regional deputy commissioner Angeline Were said.
- Missouri: 17 killed as ‘duck boat’ capsizes, says police
- Andhra Pradesh: Boat carrying 40 people, mostly students, capsizes in Godavari; six missing
- Odisha: One dead, three missing in boat accident on Chilika
- Andhra Pradesh motor launch capsize: Navy steps in, rescue operations in full swing
- Andhra Pradesh: Launch capsizes in Godavari river, over 10 feared drowned
- Uganda: At least 30 drown as overloaded boat carrying football team capzises on Lake Albert
“The boast was overloaded because it was also carrying heavy music equipment,” she said. “We rescued eight people and shall start a search for the nine.”
Lake Victoria, Africa’s biggest lake, is shared by Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
Thirteen people drowned in December in Uganda’s portion of the lake as they were travelling for Christmas celebrations.