A senior Islamic State commander was targeted and likely killed in a US operation, a US official told Reuters on Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity.
News of the operation comes just ahead of a Pentagon briefing scheduled for 10:45 a.m. (1445 GMT). Defense Secretary Ash Carter is expected to make the announcement at the briefing, according to US media reports.
Abd ar-Rahman Mustafa al-Qaduli, the militant group’s second-in-command, was killed in a raid in Syria on Thursday, Fox News reported.
- Islamic State says Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi’s son killed in Syria
- Iran-backed Iraqi militias say won’t be silent over alleged U.S. strike
- Iraqi official, Syrian activist say senior Islamic State leader dead
- IS commander ‘Omar the Chechen’ survived US strike: monitor
- ISIS commander ‘likely killed’ in Syria air strike: US official
- 16 names added to UN’s al-Qaida sanctions list
The commander, who went by several aliases and was a senior religious leader within the militant group, is believed to have been killed in a US air strike, US media outlets said.
Carter is also expected to discuss the death of another top Islamic State leader, senior operative Abu Omar al-Shishani, in another recent strike, Fox News said.
A news agency that supports Islamic State has denied that al-Shishani, also known as the Chechen, had been killed or wounded.