September 26, 2016 8:55:00 pm
German broadcaster Deutsche Welle says it has filed a civil lawsuit in Turkey’s capital demanding the return of a videotaped interview with the country’s minister for youth and sports.
The public broadcaster says ministry employees seized the footage this month after a spokesman for Minister Akif Kilic told Deutsche Welle it couldn’t air the interview, which dealt in part with the failed July 15 coup in Turkey. Deutsche Welle Director General Peter Limbourg said Monday that the broadcaster has no choice but to use “legal methods to demand the prompt return of our video material.”
The ministry, which has previously said Deutsche Welle handed over the footage voluntarily, would not comment on the lawsuit.
Turkey’s been criticized for cracking down on independent and opposition media after the coup attempt.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.