scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Friday, May 20, 2022

Four killed in US drone strike in Yemen

Residents confirmed to Xinhua that US drones kept hovering over the airspace of Azzan for several hours and huge blasts were heard in the area.

By: IANS | Aden |
August 5, 2016 8:36:13 am

A US drone strike targeted suspected militants of the Yemen-based Al Qaeda offshoot at a checkpoint in Yemen’s southeastern province of Shabwa on Thursday, leaving four killed, a security official told Xinhua. “At least four Al Qaeda militants were killed and three others injured when their own tent and a checkpoint were targeted by US missiles in Azzan town of Shabwa province,” the Yemeni security source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.

Residents confirmed to Xinhua that US drones kept hovering over the airspace of Azzan for several hours and huge blasts were heard in the area. Elsewhere in Yemen’s southern part, suspected al-Qaida militants hurled grenades on two police stations in the port city of Aden, causing only material damages.

According to government officials, large Yemeni-Saudi military preparations continued in Aden on Thursday to launch a new anti-terror offensive to flush out Al Qaeda militants from Abyan in the upcoming days. Yemen, an impoverished Arab country, has been gripped by one of the most active regional al-Qaida insurgencies in the Middle East.

The AQAP, also known locally as Ansar al-Sharia, emerged in January 2009. It had claimed responsibility for a number of terrorist attacks on Yemen’s army and government institutions. It took advantage of the current security vacuum and the ongoing civil war to expand its influence and seize more territories in Yemen’s southern part.

Best of Express Premium

Hindu College professor arrested for post on ShivlingPremium
UPSC CSE Key – May 20, 2022: What you need to read todayPremium
On trial MVA govt as BJP, Centre take on each other in courtsPremium
Explained: The Krishna Janmabhoomi case in Mathura, and the challenge to ...Premium

Security in Yemen has deteriorated since March 2015, when war broke out between the Shiite Houthi group, supported by former President Ali Abdullash Saleh, and the government backed by a Saudi-led Arab coalition. More than 6,400 people have been killed in ground battles and airstrikes since then, half of them civilians.

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement