Follow Us:
Thursday, December 12, 2019

Suspected Orlando shooter underwent screening twice, no findings, says employer

The company screening and background checks he underwent in 2007 and 2013 revealed nothing.

By: Reuters | Washington | Published: June 13, 2016 8:52:56 am
florida, florida shooting, orlando shooting, gay club shooting, pulse nightclub shooting, omar mateen, omar mateen shooting, omar mateen florida, omar mateen orlando, pulse nightclub, US shooting, world news, indian express florida shooting, indian express news, world news An undated photo from a social media account of Omar Mateen, who Orlando Police have identified as the suspect in the mass shooting at a gay nighclub in Orlando, Florida. (Source: reuters)

The gunman who authorities said killed 50 people at a packed gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, on Sunday had undergone screening by his employer in 2007 and 2013, with both checks revealing nothing of concern, the company said on Sunday.

Global security services firm G4S said on Sunday that Omar Mateen, a Florida resident and U.S. citizen who was the son of immigrants from Afghanistan, had worked for the company since 2007.

Full coverage of Florida shooting

“Mateen underwent company screening and background checks when he was recruited in 2007 and the check revealed nothing of concern,” a company spokeswoman said in a statement. “His screening was repeated in 2013 with no findings.”

The company learned in 2013 that Mateen had been questioned by the FBI but that the inquiries were then closed, the spokeswoman said. The firm was unaware of any alleged connections between Mateen and terrorist activities, or any further FBI investigations, she said.

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App

0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement