A Chinese man was on Tuesday sentenced to death by a court for setting a passenger bus on fire which killed three people.
The defendant Xu Xiaofu sought revenge on society by causing the fire in 2014 which left three people dead and 16 others injured because his improper demands had not been met, Intermediate People’s Court of Yantai City in Shandong Province said, without specifying Xu’s demands.
- Varanasi: ‘Stopped’ from meeting PM Modi, woman sets bus on fire
- Bharat bandh evokes mixed response, sporadic violence in many states
- Brazil: Shootouts leave 13 dead, including two soldiers in Rio de Janeiro
- Ex-Bangladesh PM Khaleda Zia gets six-month bail in Cumilla bus arson case
- Mexico passenger bus crash kills 3, injures 24 others
- Arsonist sentenced to death in China for burning a bus
Xu torched the bus in the city of Longkou on August 20, 2014 with a bottle of petrol he carried in his bag.He poured petrol on clothes in the bag and set fire to the bus, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
A passenger died at the scene and two others died in hospital. Six people were seriously injured.Xu escaped after the fire but was arrested by police two days later.
He was sentenced to death and deprived of political rights for life by the court.Xu said he would appeal against the sentence in a higher court.