- Xiaomi Poco F1 launch Live Updates: Poco F1 with 6.18-inch notched display, Snapdragon 845 unveiled
- Kerala floods LIVE updates: Chief Ministers Distress Relief Fund has received Rs 210 cr so far, says Thomas Isaac
- Asian Games 2018 Live Streaming Day 4 Live Score and Updates: Ankita Raina confirms medal; Indian hockey team dominating Hong Kong
A construction worker in China miraculously escaped death after a 1.5-meter steel bar pierced through his body from groin to skull in east China’s Shandong Province.
The 46-year-old Chinese man, surnamed Zhang, was working at a construction site when he fell from a height of five meters on to the steel bar on June 14.
Firefighters were able to cut the bar and took him to the hospital.
- WATCH: Strangers swim in flood water to rescue a woman trapped inside a car
- China’s new smart road will be able to charge your car
- Mumbai-Bengaluru Highway: 18 killed as speeding truck carrying labourers, families veers off road
- China: Death toll in construction accident rises to 74
- Landslide engulfs construction site of hydropower station in China, 10 killed
- Mine collapse in China leaves 19 missing; 6 workers located
An X-ray showed that the steel bar had only just missed his skull, trachea, heart, carotid artery and liver, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Zhang has been admitted to Shandong University’s Qilu Hospital in Jinan.
“This is a very rare accident,” Sang Xiguang, head of the emergency surgery department said.
Surgeons from nine departments worked with firefighters to remove the bar from the man’s body. The emergency operation took more than seven hours.
He was wheeled out of the operating room and transferred to intensive care unit.
“Luckily the bar barely touched his vital organs,” said Zhang Yuan, attending doctor of the neurosurgery department, “The wound was so large, he might not have made it if he was in poor health.”
“One wrong move, and the operation would have failed,” he said.
“Everyone was exhausted by the end of the seven hours surgery,” Sang said.
The man is now stable, doctors said, but he will remain under close observation for two weeks as the risk of infection is high.
“We will try our best to help him recover,” said Sang.