The husband of a victim of the Charleston church shootings is urging people to focus on God as the anniversary of the tragedy approaches.
About 150 people attended a Bible study at Emanuel AME Church Wednesday, gathering upstairs from the room where nine people were killed during a similar Bible study a year ago.
The Rev. Anthony Thompson taught from the book of Mark – the same verses his wife, Myra, was teaching from when the shootings occurred last June 17. He told the group to focus on God because he is the only one who is really in control.
- Speeches, marches mark Martin Luther King anniversary
- Convicted church killer Dylann Roof wants to fire Jewish, Indian lawyers
- Charleston shooting LIVE: Gunman shot and wounded, victim dead
- Dylann Roof sentenced to death for killing 9 church members
- Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof’s confession and journal detail racist beliefs
- US: Clinton calls for strong gun control laws after Orlando massacre
A white man, Dylann Roof, is charged in both state and federal courts in the shootings.
The Bible study was the first of about two dozen events marking the anniversary.