Armed militants have abducted dozens of passengers in the Helmand Province of southern Afghanistan on Tuesday.
Local officials stated that a number of unknown gunmen abducted dozens of passengers on Kabul-Kandahar Highway.
The passengers were stopped in Mahajer Bazaar area in Gereshk district in the province and then were transferred to an unknown location, Tolo News quoted Provincial Police Chief, Aqa Noor Kentozai, as saying.
- Afghanistan: Taliban overrun Afghan Army base, kill 17 troops
- Taliban fighters storm Afghanistan’s Ghazni, seize parts of city
- Karwar-based chef abducted, killed in Afghanistan was home two months ago, his son turns six soon
- Indian employee among three foreigners kidnapped and killed in Kabul
- Seven Indians abducted in Afghanistan, Taliban role suspected
- Afghan police launch search operation for kidnapped villagers
Search operations have started to rescue the abductees, added Kentozai.
This comes after Taliban abducted more than 200 passengers on Baghlan-Kunduz Highway two weeks ago.