In a tragic incident, a five-year-old girl in the US has accidentally shot herself dead while playing with her father’s handgun in Lousiana, media reports said on Sunday.
The girl, Haley Moore, was spending the weekend at her father’s house with her elder sister and brother. Just before they were about to leave for a movie, she found her father’s gun at the house and began playing with the firearm.
Her father told investigators that Moore was playing with the gun when she shot herself inside the home in Lousiana’s LaPlace area on Saturday, New York Daily News reported.
- Uttar Pradesh: Man kills daughter and her friend, surrenders
- Bioscopewala trailer: Danny Denzongpa brings to life Rabindranath Tagore’s Kabuliwala in this extrapolation
- Man kills wife, shoots himself dead in Faridabad
- Playing with gun, 12-year-old shoots himself: Delhi Police
- Youth killed clicking photos of cousin with gun as teen pulls trigger by accident
- 4-year-old boy shoots, kills 19-month-old brother in US
The father was taking a shower when he heard a gunshot. He rushed to the spot and discovered that his daughter had accidentally shot herself, investigators said.
Authorities said the handgun had not been safely stored before the shooting occurred. Her father had left the .45-caliber gun on the table.
The sheriff’s office said the shooting remained under investigation and additional information would be released “when warranted”.
Police said the bullet entered the girl’s right chest and came out under her left arm. She died at a hospital on Saturday.
The children’s parents are divorced and the father gets visitation every other weekend, the report said.