China has arrested about 1.34 lakh suspects linked to drug-related crimes over the past year, authorities said highlighting the growing drug problem in the country.
The arrests were made in about 1.13 lakh cases, the National Narcotics Control Commission (NNCC) said, as China marked the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking on Sunday.
- Punjab’s war against drugs: What the Congress government has done so far to curb the menace
- Death penalty for drug crimes: How the law changed over time
- Struggling to curb drug menace, Punjab Cabinet wants death for narcotics convicts
- Mandsaur firing victim arrested for ‘drug smuggling’
- Manipur: Notorious drug lord who ran international cartel arrested
- Nigerians constitute 40% of foreigners held for drug crimes in India in ’17: NCB
Railway police alone have arrested 1,238 suspects and seized nearly 2.8 tonnes of drugs since the beginning of this year, it said.
Meanwhile, state Councilor Guo Shengkun, also head of the NNCC, has called for a prolonged “people’s war” to stop the spread of drugs, saying all social forces should be mobilised for drug control.
The state councilor also vowed ‘zero tolerance’ and severe punishment for drug-related crimes in order to deter offenders, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.