US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Wednesday he has told Congress that Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are doing enough to protect civilians in Yemen where a Saudi-led coalition is battling Iran-aligned rebels in a civil war. Thousands of having died in the fighting and millions are in dire need of aid. Pompeo said in a statement that he had certified that the Saudi and Emirati governments “are undertaking demonstrable actions to reduce the risk of harm to civilians and civilian infrastructure.” Ending the war is “a national security priority” for the Trump administration, he said.
The US will work to ensure the coalition’s support for UN-led efforts to end the war, allow the delivery of humanitarian support and lessen the war’s impact on civilians and infrastructure, Pompeo said. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said he endorsed and “fully” backed Pompeo’s certification, adding that Saudi Arabia and the UAE were “making every effort” to reduce the risk of civilian casualties and collateral damage.
Mattis said the US was working with a UN special envoy “to achieve a negotiated end to this fighting.” Mattis said last month that the US intended to keep backing the coalition despite civilian casualties and questions about the Saudis’ commitment to avoiding killing innocent people.
He said American influence on the Arab air campaign had made a difference in reducing instances of errant bombing and the targeting of civilians. Yemen’s civil war, pitting the Saudi-led coalition against Iran-aligned Houthi rebels who ousted Yemen’s internationally recognized government, has raged since March 2015. The coalition backs the government of Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi and aims to restore it to power.
Saudi Arabia announced in 2015 that it would lead a coalition of countries against the Houthis. In the years since then, the UN says, the conflict has become the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, with more than 22 million people in desperate need in what is already the Arab world’s poorest country.
Human rights experts documented 6,475 deaths from March 2015 until last June but said the real figure is likely to be significantly higher. Other groups have estimated that more than 10,000 people have been killed, excluding 2,300 cholera deaths since April 2017 amid pitiful water supplies.
Just last month, an airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition hit a bus carrying children in a busy market, killing dozens of people in what the international rights group Human Rights Watch called an “apparent war crime.”
The coalition expressed regret and pledged to hold accountable those found to be responsible for the airstrike, which killed at least 51 people, including 40 children.