Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram

Weeks after hiking H-1B visa fees to $100,000 a year, the US government on Wednesday announced that foreigners will no longer receive automatic extensions of their work permits — a move expected to affect thousands of Indian professionals and immigrants.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said Wednesday that the change aims to strengthen the “screening and vetting” process before extending Employment Authorisation Documents (EADs). Under the new rule, foreigners who file to renew their EADs on or after October 30, 2025, will no longer get an automatic extension.
“This is a common sense measure to ensure appropriate vetting and screening has been completed before an alien’s employment authorisation or documentation is extended,” said USCIS Director Joseph Edlow. “Working in the United States is a privilege, not a right.”
The rule will affect various categories, including spouses of H-1B, L, and E visa holders, as well as individuals with refugee or asylee status.
The DHS advised foreigners to apply for renewal up to 180 days before their EAD expires. It clarified that EADs already extended before October 30 will remain valid under the previous policy.
Previously, under the Biden administration, those who filed Form I-765 for timely renewal were eligible for a 540-day automatic extension.
The move comes amid a broader tightening of immigration policy under President Donald Trump, who in September raised annual H-1B visa fees to $100,000.
According to US Census Bureau data, there were about 4.8 million Indian Americans as of 2022, two-thirds of whom are immigrants.
Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram