Follow Us:
Sunday, July 22, 2018

UK irritated by US leaks in Manchester attack

British-born Salman Abedi was identified as the suspected suicide bomber responsible. His name first surfaced in US media reports yesterday, based on briefings given to US officials by their counterparts in London.

By: AFP | London | Published: May 24, 2017 6:22:01 pm

 

manchester, manchester attack, ariana grande concert attack, manchester terror attack, Manchester, Manchester blast, manchester attack, ariana grande, Manchester bombing, ariana grande, ariana grande concert, Salman Abedi, Manchester arena, theresa may, UK terror attack, manchester terror attack, islamic state, ISIS attack, indian express, world news A woman stands next to flowers offered for the victims of a suicide attack at a concert by Ariana Grande that killed more than 20 people Monday night in central Manchester, Britain, Wednesday, May 24 2017. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti)

A British minister said Wednesday it was “irritating” that details about the Manchester concert bombing had been leaked to US media before being released in Britain, saying she had spoken to US authorities. “The British police have been very clear that they want to control the flow of information in order to protect operational integrity… the element of surprise,” Interior Minister Amber Rudd told BBC radio.

“So it is irritating if it gets released from other sources and I have been very clear with our friends that that should not happen again.”

Asked if the US authorities had compromised the investigation, she said: “I wouldn’t go that far.

“But I can say that they are perfectly clear about the situation and that it shouldn’t happen again.”

At least 22 people were killed on Monday night when a bomb went off at a concert by US pop star Ariana Grande in Manchester, northwest England, among them children. British-born Salman Abedi was identified as the suspected suicide bomber responsible. His name first surfaced in US media reports yesterday, based on briefings given to US officials by their counterparts in London.

Asked if the US authorities had compromised the investigation, she said: “I wouldn’t go that far.

“But I can say that they are perfectly clear about the situation and that it shouldn’t happen again.”

At least 22 people were killed on Monday night when a bomb went off at a concert by US pop star Ariana Grande in Manchester, northwest England, among them children.

British-born Salman Abedi was identified as the suspected suicide bomber responsible. His name first surfaced in US media reports yesterday, based on briefings given to US officials by their counterparts in London.

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement