scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Wednesday, August 04, 2021

Saudi Arabia says hajj to be limited to 60,000 in kingdom

In last year's hajj, as few as 1,000 people already residing in Saudi Arabia were selected to take part in the hajj. 

By: AP | Dubai |
Updated: June 12, 2021 5:30:39 pm
Last year also, the government had decided that Muslims from India will not travel to Saudi Arabia for Haj 2020 after the Kingdom conveyed that pilgrims should not be sent in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. (AP File Photo)

Saudi Arabia says this year’s hajj pilgrimage will be limited to no more than 60,000 people, all of them from within the kingdom, due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

The kingdom made the announcement Saturday on its state-run Saudi Press Agency.

It cited the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah for making the decision.

In last year’s hajj, as few as 1,000 people already residing in Saudi Arabia were selected to take part in the hajj. 

Two-thirds were foreign residents from among the 160 different nationalities that would have normally been represented at the hajj. One-third were Saudi security personnel and medical staff. 

The hajj begins mid-July.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement