At least six people, including four soldiers, have been killed and over 18 injured after a suicide bomber targeted an army vehicle in Lahore, Pakistan. The attack took place Wednesday morning. The blast took place when the convoy carrying a census team was on Lahore’s Bedian Road.
Television footage and photographs from the scene of the blast showed two vans and a motorcycle damaged by the explosion. Rescue teams have reached the site and a security cordon has been put in place around the area.
No terrorist organisation has claimed responsibility for the attack so far, but Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah said it appeared to be a terrorist attack, according to Geo TV. Lahore has been on security high alert. In February, a blast in an upscale area in Lahore leaving eight people and 30 injured.
Pakistan launched the national census last month, the country’s first in 19 years. A government spokesperson said the exercise would continue despite the suicide attack. Tens of thousands of data collectors, supported by 200,000 Pakistani soldiers, go door-to-door for the project, which is to be finished by May 15. However, societal conservatism and a lack of women census takers could result in Pakistan’s female population being under-represented.
With inputs from agencies