At least three soldiers, six vigilantes and dozens of Boko Haram insurgents have been killed during clashes in the restive northeast Nigerian city of Maiduguri, sources said today. The militants launched an attack on the Borno state capital yesterday evening but were repelled by Nigerian troops after intense fighting, residents and the army said.
The assault was the first on Maiduguri for three months and came after sweeping offensives against Boko Haram strongholds by a regional military coalition of Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon. “Three soldiers were killed during a fight with the terrorists while six of our members were killed by three female suicide bombers,” civilian vigilante official Yusuf Sani said.
- Suicide bombing in north Nigeria kills seven, injures seven
- The rise and reach of Boko Haram as it continues to kill and kidnap
- On Boko Haram front line, Nigerian vigilantes amass victories and power
- Nigeria blast: Suicide bombers kill 22 at mosque
- Boko Haram kills 43, burnt 3 villages in northeast Nigeria raids: residents
- Nigeria army rescues 300 girls from Boko Haram stronghold, none from Chibok
“The terrorists suffered serious casualties,” he said, without specifying a figure, adding that 12 vigilantes were injured by the shrapnel of the detonated bombs. An army official, who did not want to be identified, confirmed Sani’s account. “We rounded them and killed many of them… I cannot tell you the number of we killed them,” he added.
The army imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew today in the aftermath of the attack. Streets were deserted and only soldiers and police were seen patrolling. Schools, markets and public buildings, including hospitals, were also closed. Army spokesman Colonel Tanko Gusau said the lock-down was ordered “to protect lives and properties of innocent and law-abiding people of Maiduguri”.
The attack saw dozens of militants armed with heavy guns and rocket-propelled grenades storm the northern outskirts of the city near the Giwa military base. Shots were fired and explosives detonated indiscriminately, locals said. The army said female suicide bombers had detonated explosives before the attack.
Sources said the assailants had made attempts to overrun the military facility, which was attacked on March 14 last year, freeing hundreds of detained Boko Haram suspects. A member of the civilian vigilantes, who assist the military with security and intelligence, said the attack could have been a reprisal for losses incurred in today’s offensive on their camp some 40 kilometres (25 miles) outside Maiduguri.