scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Thursday, October 21, 2021

Manhattan terror attack: Donald Trump vows to step up ‘extreme vetting process’ for entry into US

The driver was shot by the police after he jumped out of the vehicle, screaming, carrying what later turned out to be fake guns in both his hands, officials said.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi |
Updated: November 1, 2017 5:58:53 pm
donald trump, new york terrorist attack, New York city, lower manhattan, donald trump twitter, IS, new york terror attack, new york van crash, manhattan terrorist attack, manhattan terror attack, new york police, manhattan shooting, lower manhattan, new york city police department, new york attack death toll, manhattan attack death toll, donald trump, new york shooting suspect, us crimes, us shooting, usa news, world news US President Donald Trump (AP/PTI/Files)

Hours after a man in a rented Home Depot pick-up truck ploughed through a crowd in Manhattan in New York, killing eight people, President Donald Trump on Wednesday vowed to step up the “already extreme vetting process” for entry into the country. He added that being politically correct is fine, but not for this (vetting). In a direct attack on the pressent US Visa policy which  he claimed was introduced by Democratic party Senator Chuck Schumer, Trump said attacker had entered US throught a ‘Diversity Visa Lottery Program’ to enter the US, which ought to be replaced by a ”merit based system”.

Trump also took a swing at the Democratic party, which has not suppored the extreme vetting measure proposed by his government, saying “We are fighting hard for Merit Based immigration, no more Democrat Lottery Systems. We must get MUCH tougher (and smarter)”

At least eight people were killed and 11 others injured in the attack on Tuesday. The gunman, 29-year-old Sayfullo Saipov, was shot in the abdomen before being arrested.

“I have just ordered Homeland Security to step up our already Extreme Vetting Program. Being politically correct is fine, but not for this!” Trump tweeted.

Follow LIVE updates on the Manhattan terror attack here

Earlier in the day, Trump had expressed his condolences to those who suffered losses in the lone wolf style attack. In a series of tweets, he declared that the country should not allow the Islamic State terror group to return or enter the US after their defeat in the middle east (Syria) among other places. The President tweeted, “We must not allow ISIS to return, or enter, our country after defeating them in the Middle East and elsewhere. Enough!”

In a statement released by the White House, the 45th US president said, “We offer our thanks to the first responders who stopped the suspect and rendered immediate aid to the victims of this cowardly attack. These brave men and women embody the true American spirit of resilience and courage. I will continue to follow developments closely.”

In pictures: 8 dead, 11 injured after truck ploughs through crowd in NYC

On Tuesday, the driver of a truck drove onto a bike path near the World Trade Center memorial in Lower Manhattan area. Mayor Bill de Blasio described the incident as a “cowardly act of terror”. In a statement to the press, he said, “This was an act of terror, and a particularly cowardly act of terror aimed at innocent civilians.” According to The Associated Press, a hand-written note in a foreign language was found inside the truck. The contents of the note are being investigated.

(With inputs from agencies)

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement