At least two people were injured and one armed high school student was arrested after a school shooting that left at least two wounded on Thursday in the small southern French town of Grasse. An intruder bursted into the Tocqueville high school and opened fire, one of the sources said. The shooting at the high school in Grasse comes as France remains in a state of emergency following deadly attacks in Paris in 2015 and an attack last year in the city of Nice, which is 40 kilometers (25 miles) away from Grasse.
Here are the highlights:
07.2 5 pm: According to a statement from the Grasse town hall, “two pupils shot at the principal.”
07. 08 pm: The interior ministry said, a 17-year old student carrying a rifle, handguns and grenades was arrested, police sources added.
07. 02 pm: Officials say an armed high school student was arrested after a shooting in a school in southern France that left at least two wounded.
06.55 pm: Police cordoned off the area and worried residents gathered outside, along with several emergency vehicles.
06. 50 pm: French television BFM showed residents gathered around the area, along with several police cars and emergency vehicles. Residents said some students have been able to leave the school.
06.48 pm: An employee of a nearby electronics store said police had asked residents to stay indoors. An employee of sports chain Decathlon, which has a branch less than 500 meters from the high school, said he had seen about 40 high school students leaving from the area and gathering in a nearby parking lot.
06. 40 pm: French government minister says 2 wounded in school shooting, all students safe.
06. 33 pm: Officials are still trying to determine whether there are any casualties.
06.32 pm: French govt issues nationwide alert after reported shooting at high school in southern town of Grasse. The alert came in a system implemented by the government after the deadly November 2015 attacks in Paris.
06. 29 pm: All schools in the town some 40 kilometres west of Nice have been locked down.
06. 25 pm: One person was arrested and another was on the run after the shooting at the Tocqueville high school, according to police sources.