A slick of rice wine spilled from a truck caused a traffic accident Friday that killed 12 people in central China, authorities said.
A bus overturned on a road that was made slippery because of the rice wine, and another freight truck then crashed into the bus shortly after midnight, said the Xinxian county government in Henan province.
- At least 50 dead, 100 burned in Congo tanker truck fire
- At least 50 killed as bus falls into 30-feet-deep gorge near Jagtiyal town in Telangana
- Tourist bus crashes in Bulgaria; 16 reported killed
- Two dead, several injured in series of accidents in Jharkhand
- Vietnam minibus crash kills groom and 12 wedding guests
- 68 killed,100 injured in accidents,forest fire in China
Nine people were killed at the scene and three more died in hospital, the Xinxian government said on its web site. Nineteen other people were hospitalized.
Police have detained the drivers of the bus and the truck carrying the rice wine.
The accident took place at Xinyang, Henan, on the Daqing-Guanzhou expressway.