South Korea says it has turned off loudspeakers broadcasting cross-border anti-Pyongyang propaganda as part of an accord with rival North Korea meant to avert possible military confrontation.
Seoul’s Defense Ministry said Tuesday that the broadcasts were stopped at noon local time. The ministry says the North is expected to now tell its soldiers to stand down from full war readiness.
- Koreas prepare for summit as North asks US to ease sanctions
- Inter-Korean ties crucial for nuclear diplomacy, says South Korea
- As North and South Korea cosy up, human rights groups struggle for cash
- Koreas holding military talks to reduce tensions on border
- Hope, anger for relatives of South Koreans kidnapped by North
- South Korea halts propaganda broadcasts before summit with North
Seoul had restarted the broadcasts earlier this month after an 11-year stoppage in retaliation against the North for allegedly planting land mines that maimed two South Korean soldiers on border patrol.
The North denied responsibility and had threatened to go to war if Seoul didn’t back down. In an accord settled after marathon negotiations, Pyongyang expressed “regret” over the injuries to the soldiers by the mines.