scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Tuesday, August 09, 2022

Pakistan: 23 Shia pilgrims killed, banned Jaish-ul-Islam claims responsibility

It took place when 10 buses carrying the Shia pilgrims stopped at a hotel in Taftan near the Iranian border.

Quetta |
June 9, 2014 11:25:53 am
An emergency personnel worker climbs up the side of a burnt-out bus, as he searches for victims of a car bomb explosion in Quetta. (Source: Reuters) An emergency personnel worker climbs up the side of a burnt-out bus, as he searches for victims of a car bomb explosion in Quetta. (Source: Reuters)

At least 23 Shia pilgrims returning from Iran were killed when militants attacked their buses in Pakistan’s troubled Balochistan province, officials said.

The attack took place on Sunday when 10 buses carrying the Shia pilgrims stopped at a hotel in Taftan near the Iranian border.

Four of the attackers were killed by Levies forces after heavy exchange of fire, Home Minister Mir Sarfaraz Bugti, told reporters.

“As soon as the pilgrims came out of the buses to go to the hotel first a group of militants first opened indiscriminate fire on them and also threw hand grenades before rushing into the hotel and taking refuge there,” Bugti said.

Subscriber Only Stories
Nitish-BJP break-up in Bihar: Why Modi’s BJP is right to be nervous...Premium
UPSC Key-August 9, 2022: Why you should read ‘Eggs and faith’ or ‘Transge...Premium
Streetwise Kolkata – Beckbagan: Named after an emissary from Awadh ...Premium
As PM Modi again refers to Rajya Sabha ‘hurdle’, some House truthsPremium

He said 23 pilgrims were killed as a result of the firing and the attackers also blew up the buses.

A banned outfit Jaish-ul-Islam claimed responsibility for the attack, the Express Tribune reported.

A purported spokesman for the group, Azam Tariq, called Quetta-based journalists from an undisclosed location to claim credit for the deadly attack.

Advertisement

The home secretary of the province, Akbar Durrani confirmed to PTI that security forces were able to overpower the attackers after a few hours of heavy exchange of gunfire as the masked militants had come heavily armed and prepared for a siege.

“The bodies of the pilgrims are being shifted to hospitals and the injured are also getting treatment,” Durrani said.

“There were explosions after the buses were parked outside the hotels where the pilgrims were going to stay overnight before they commenced their journey back the following day,” Durrani said.

Advertisement

Two devastating bombings in Quetta killed nearly 200 Shias last year and were claimed by banned Sunni extremist group Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ) which has links to al-Qaeda.

While in January, a blast on a bus carrying pilgrims from Iran killed some 22 people in Mastung area of the province.

Leading Shia organisations have announced they would hold countrywide protests and sit-ins against the attack.

📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
First published on: 09-06-2014 at 11:25:53 am
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.

Featured Stories

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement