North Korea denies it apologised to South over mine blast

Seoul must stop saying the North apologized or face unspecified consequences, the North said.

By: AP | Seoul | Published: September 2, 2015 8:29:43 am
South korea, north korea, korea apology In this photo provided by the South Korean Unification Ministry, South Korean presidential security adviser Kim Kwan-jin, right, shakes hands with Hwang Pyong So, North Korea’s top political officer for the Korean People’s Army, after their meeting at the border village of Panmunjom in Paju, South Korea, Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2015. (Source: AP)

North Korea on Tuesday denied Seoul’s claim that Pyongyang’s recent expression of  “regret” after a marathon negotiating session is an apology for a mine explosion that maimed two South Korean soldiers.

The statement by Pyongyang’s powerful National Defense Commission, the first explicit denial of the key part of an accord heralded by the South as a mini-breakthrough for the bitter rivals, muddies the prospects for better ties between the Koreas and further belies Seoul’s claim that it successfully pushed the North in the talks last week to take responsibility for the blast.

Seoul must stop saying the North apologized or face unspecified consequences, the North said.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

North Korea’s vague expression of “regret” after three days of talks last week over the South Korean soldiers’ injuries, not over laying the mines, allowed the two Koreas to back away from threats of war. Seoul responded by turning off cross-border loudspeaker broadcasts critical of the North’s political system.

North Korea in its statement Tuesday also criticized South Korea’s recent live-fire drills with the US

Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App