An 11-year-old girl who was denied an abortion has given birth in Paraguay.
Elizabeth Torales is the lawyer for the girl’s mother. She says the minor gave birth to a baby girl via cesarean Thursday. Torales says there were no complications and both the mother and baby are resting.
- Brazil’s top court wrestles with abortion at special hearing
- Indonesian teen raped by brother is jailed for abortion
- Brazil: Hundreds of women march in Rio de Janeiro to demand legal abortion
- Ireland votes ‘yes’ to abortion: All you need to know about the historic referendum
- Mumbai: Stepfather gets life for raping two minor girls
- Eleven-year-old rape victim gives birth to girl in Paraguay
The girl allegedly was raped and impregnated by her stepfather when she was 10. The stepfather has been arrested and is awaiting trial. The girl’s mother has been charged with negligence.
The mother requested an abortion for her daughter, but the government blocked it, drawing criticism from many groups, including U.N. human rights officials. Paraguay bans abortion except when the mother’s life is in danger, and local health officials said it was not.