Videos of an ice resurfacing machine catching fire at a community rink in upstate New York has left social media users in a frenzy as ‘fire-and-ice’ became a reality.
The machine that was cleaning the ice at a hockey rink during an evening practice session suddenly caught fire. The incident happened before a youth hockey practice at Bill Gray’s Regional Iceplex in Brighton, New York, horrifying parents and children.
Rochester Fire Department’s Lt. Ryan Fleming who answered the distress call told a local daily no one was hurt, including the driver who steered the machine off the rink to the maintenance area despite it being on fire. There were a couple of youth hockey players in the rink at the time of the incident.
Watch the videos here:
— Mary Prusak (@maryprusak) October 15, 2020
Here’s the video version. pic.twitter.com/u5zRFNIkvd
— Russ Bitely (@russbites) October 15, 2020
According to WHEC, a hose on the back of the machine started leaking hydraulic fluid, shortly before it caught fire.
Videos of the incident, captured by parents present at the rink, were posted on social media and have since gone viral, even sparking a meme-fest, to sum up, what it means to survive in 2020.
This Zamboni catching fire at a New York hockey rink but still trying to resurface the ice is all of us trying to navigate 2020. pic.twitter.com/F2tNBSDWM9
— Kamil Karamali (@KamilKaramali) October 15, 2020
I’ve skated in that rink so many times, and I honestly can’t believe the zam is the first thing to go up in flames….
— Taylor Lipsett (@usasledsniper7) October 15, 2020
Giving off these vibes pic.twitter.com/0nWdOB1yab
— Neemosa (@SuperCoolNeemz) October 15, 2020
Zamboni driver then hopped off the flaming zamboni, put on goalie pads, and defeated the @MapleLeafs
— YESUV🚙 (@IslesWhiteSUV) October 15, 2020
This is a visual metaphor for 2020…
— Mark Webb (@WWebbMark) October 16, 2020
My Therapist: Flaming Murder Zamboni isn’t real, it can’t hurt you
Flaming Murder Zamboni: pic.twitter.com/aR3j0us5zY
— Cole Perfetti is a Winnipeg Jet (@MiroToZero) October 15, 2020
I did not have exploding Zambonis on my 2020 Apocalypse Bingo card..
— Worst Episode of Twilight Zone Ever (@downhill39) October 15, 2020
Dude was just practicing for the 2nd intermission show: pic.twitter.com/QntBcuN8AM
— Nick Falco (@NickFalco55) October 15, 2020
It is not only on fire but it is hemorrhaging out of its backside. That’s one nasty burning GI bleed right there. https://t.co/WZ3gWlpFTo
— QuaranTête🇨🇦 (@SabreScalpel) October 16, 2020
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines