Spanish man mistakenly served detergent instead of wine, dies

Andres Lorente died of internal burns after drinking cleaning fluid he thought was white wine in the city of Benicarlo in the Spanish province of Castellon.

By: Press Trust of India | London | Updated: June 17, 2015 4:29:34 pm
Spanish man, Spanish man served detergent, Spanish man death, Spanish man detergent, Spanish man Andres Lorente, Raconet bar, Raconet bar death, Europe latest news, World latest news Andres Lorente was in bar Raconet for a Sunday afternoon drink on June 14 when he was served what he thought was a glass of wine. (Source: Reuters)

In a bizarre incident, a 49-year-old Spanish man died after he was mistakenly served undiluted detergent instead of white wine at a bar.

Andres Lorente died of internal burns after drinking cleaning fluid he thought was white wine in the city of Benicarlo in the Spanish province of Castellon.

He was in bar Raconet for a Sunday afternoon drink on June 14 when he was served what he thought was a glass of white wine.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

The liquid he was served was cleaning fluid that had been stored in an empty bottle of wine and mistakenly been put in the fridge by a member of staff.

After taking a sip of what he thought was white wine, Lorente felt a burning sensation, according to local newspaper, El Periodico Mediterraneo.

In an attempt to cool the burning sensation he felt in his throat Lorente drank water, according to witnesses, something which could have contributed to the corrosive effect of the cleaning fluid in his body.

An ambulance was called and paramedics tried to resuscitate Lorente on the scene, before taking him to hospital, where he died.

The director of the department of Gastroenterology at Castellon General Hospital, Jose Antonio Martin, warned that ingesting even a small amount of such a concentrated liquid can be lethal.

“It starts burning immediately. If it is potent, it can burn and puncture the esophagus and stomach,” he said.

For all the latest Trending News, download Indian Express App