Nargis Dutt, one of India’s finest actors is celebrated in today’s Google Doodle. Nargis, whose original name was Fatima Rashid, was born on this day in 1929.
- Stars on the campaign ground
- Pandit Lachhu Maharaj remembered on 74th birth anniversary with Google Doodle
- Sanjay Dutt opens up about the tragic death of his mother in this throwback video
- Sunil Dutt’s 90th birth anniversary: Some interesting facts about the actor-turned-politician
- Remembering Nargis Dutt on her 86th birth anniversary
- Munnabhais dilemma: in which room his mother was born
Famous for her pairing with Raj Kapoor, Nargis was also a prominent social worker of her time and was later a Rajya Sabha member. She was married to actor and politician Sunil Dutt. She died on May 3, 1981. Her son Sanjay Dutt made his film debut. Her daughter Priya Dutt was an MP from Mumbai in the last Lok Sabha.
After her death, the Nargis Dutt Memorial Cancer Foundation was established. The best feature film on national integration is also given in her honour.
Nargis was born in Calcutta to Punjabi parents. Her father was Abdul Rashid was from Rawalpindi while her mother Jaddanbai was a Hindustani classical music singer in Allahabad.
Fatima began her career in the 1935 movie Talashe Haq and took the name Baby Nargis, a film name she carried for the rest of her career. The pinnacle of her career came in Mehboob Khan’s Oscar-nominated Mother India in 1957. She won a Filmfare Best Actress Award for her performance in the movie.