Follow Us:
Saturday, June 25, 2022

Man feels discomfort in chest, doctors find AirPod inside his body

What began as a joke that he might have swallowed the device in his sleep, ending up being true, as he had to get an emergency surgery to remove it.

By: Trends Desk | New Delhi |
Updated: February 9, 2021 9:55:30 am
man swallow airpods, man swallows airpods in sleep, doctor remove airpod from stomach, airpods inside stomach, odd news, weird news, viral news, indian express newsThe man said the recovered gadget from inside his body still works. (Source: Bradford Gauthier/ Facebook)

A man experiencing discomfort while swallowing was shocked when he found out the reason — an AirPod stuck in his oesophagus. It turns out that the man had accidentally swallowed the earpiece while in sleep.

Bradford Gauthier from Worcester, Massachusetts, US, said he was fine when he woke up one morning recently but experienced some difficulty when he tried to drink water. “It wouldn’t go down, I had to lean over to let it spill out into the sink. Gross,” he wrote on his Facebook profile talking about the unusual event.

Gauthier added that he felt something was “off with a lot of pressure in my chest”, but thought it was due to a dry throat or something from all the snow shovelling the night before. The father-of-two told NBC 2 that he went to bed that night “worn out” and next day morning shovelled snow for another hour before having any problems.

Best of Express Premium
In 1978, it was Sharad Pawar who had led a rebel group and toppled Mahara...Premium
Explained: How the billion-dollar automobile industry is changing, courte...Premium
Need to accelerate reform pace in energy transition: CEO, Niti AayogPremium
Top six nutrients to enhance the longevity of your brainPremium

Soon, he also noticed that his earphones, with which he went to bed the night before were missing and “and could only find one after scouring the bedroom”.  And what began as a joke that he might have swallowed the device in his sleep, ending up being true. He had to get emergency surgery to remove it.

“By that point, my son and wife had gotten the idea that I may have swallowed it. They brought it up jokingly at first, but it seemed too coincidental that I would be missing it when I knew I went to bed with it, while I felt a distinct blockage in the centre of my chest,”  Gauthier explained to KVEO.

His wife took him to the emergency room, where doctors did an X-ray only to find the missing earpiece lodged in the lower part of his oesophagus. They performed an emergency endoscopy removed the wireless device and Gauthier went home to catch up on his work, having never experienced more than some minor discomfort, Fox 8 reported.

“The GI physician said it’s extremely uncommon for a blockage not to be painful or severely discomforting,” the man told WWLP News 22. “It never occurred to me that [sleeping with headphones] could be a safety hazard. I was really quite lucky,” he added.

“Be careful listening to wireless headphones when you fall asleep, you never know where they’ll end up!” he warned others in his post.

As people were glad that he is fine, many were intrigued to know if the device still works. “It works, but only at half volume. It definitely got a fair amount of water in it. Hopefully, when it dries out it’ll work perfect hahaha,” the man replied.

In 2020, a seven-year-old boy from Georgia had ended up in a hospital after he accidentally swallowed an Apple AirPod his mother got him for Christmas. Luckily, the boy didn’t need any surgery as it was expected to come out on its own.

Something similar happened to a Taiwanese man in 2019, who claimed that his Apple device survived a journey through his digestive system, and even worked after he retrieved it from his faeces.

Express Subscription Check out our special pricing for international readers when the offer lasts

📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates

For all the latest Trending News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard