Amar Chitra Katha has a released a special comic book titled ‘Param Vir Chakra’ which chronicles the valour and sacrifice of 21 awardees of India’s highest military decoration. The book is available for buying here.
According to a PTI report, the project had been in the making for the last two years and is the result of collaborative effort of Indian Army and Amar Chitra Katha. The 248-page book, also entitled Param Vir Chakra, is a tribute to the recipients of honour.
- Haryana to construct martyrs’ memorials in their native villages
- Independence Day 2017: PM Modi launches online portal commemorating gallantry awardees
- Veergatha series: Five new illustrated books celebrate the lives of Indian war heroes
- Museum to showcase entire history of Western Command
- Param Vir Chakra awardees to feature in NCERT book
- Army, Amar Chitra Katha to release comic book on 21 Param Vir Chakra awardees
The comic book, priced at Rs 299, will be available in both print and digital format. The comic book, which is a colour publication, covers all the recipients and all the wars -– the Kashmir Operations in 1947-48, India-China War in 1962, Indo-Pakistan wars in 1965 and 1971 and the Kargil conflict of 1999.
Major Somnath Sharma was the first recipient of Param Vir Chakra award in 1947. During the Kargil War of 1999, four Param Vir Chakras were awarded: Lieutentant Manoj Kumar Pandey and Captain Vikram Batra got the award posthumously.
Grenadier Yogender Singh Yadav and Rifleman Sanjay Kumar were also awarded the Param Vir Chakra for their courageous role in the Kargil War. Along with Naib Subedar Bana Singh who won the medal in 1987, Yadav and Kumar are the only surviving awardees of the medal.