A Florida man recently shared images of his burnt Jeep, saying that his Samsung Galaxy Note 7 caught fire while charging in the vehicle. Nathan Dornacher from Saint Petersberg, Florida said that his car was left switched on to keep it cool, while he went inside the house to grab his dog and daughter for a trip outside. When he walked back to the car, he saw flames erupting from inside the car where his phone was charging.
Dornacher in his Facebook post further explained that he ran inside the house to get a fire extinguisher, while his girlfriend or wife called the fire department. No one was injured in the incident, but the end result was a car that was burnt completely from the inside. He shared multiple pictures of the damage caused to the SUV, along with the charred remains of his Galaxy Note 7 device. In one image you can see the phone’s charger still attached to the charging port in the car.
Dornacher claims that he had bought his Galaxy Note 7 just five days previously. He had purchased the device from Verizon, but did not realise that there was a recall on the units until he called them after the incident. “Not the barbecue I wanted on my day off,” he said in his post. In the comments below he shared that Samsung ignored him and did not call him back. He further wrote that he would be getting a lawyer saying,”You had your chance” – referring to the company.
There have been at least 35 known cases of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 catching fire while charging. Samsung has recalled the phone, and is offering the Galaxy S7 in exchange to users in US. The phone’s launch in India has been delayed, but Samsung has promised its pre-ordering customers that it is coming soon.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines