OnePlus’ USB Type-C adapter is out of spec. Benson Leung, a Google Engineer has said in a Google post that the USB Type-C adapter bundled with OnePlus 2 smartphone is not ideal for Chromebook Pixel or newly launched Nexus smartphones.
Google’s Chromebook Pixel was one of the first devices to feature USB Type-C charger. Currently, Apple’s Macbook, OnePlus 2 and Google’s own Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X also support feature USB Type-C charging.
The cause of this confusion is the lack of 3A resistors in OnePlus 2’s USB Type-C charger. While the device will continue to try charge at 3A, the older adapter won’t be able to handle that load.
- Google Pixel and Pixel XL now officially supported by LineageOS ROM
- OnePlus likely to replace Dash Charge with Warp Charge: Report
- Google Android P: Pixel 2 to Nokia phones, list of mobile phones which will get upgrade
- OnePlus Bullets wireless earphones review: Premium design, good audio quality
- OnePlus team takes to Reddit to answer questions on OnePlus 3T
- OnePlus to offer refund for its faulty USB Type-C cables
Benson Leung further adds that having a weaker than 3A charger could be a risk factor for any device. He also notes in his thread that none of the chargers including car chargers are spec compliant but vendors are working with Google on development of new charging cables.
Benson Leung in an older post had analysed several USB Type-C cables from third party vendors and he says using these could be downright dangerous.