Updated: January 16, 2021 12:40:26 pm
Best of Express Premium
WhatsApp makes it clear that it is sharing information with “third-party service providers and other Facebook Companies in this capacity…”
It also expands on using third-party services integrated inside WhatsApp, and once again other Facebook products find a mention. The earlier policy just mentioned iCloud or Google Drive, which are commonly used by many to backup and save their messages.
The new part in this section mentions that when users rely on “a third-party service or another Facebook Company Product linked through our Services, such as when you use the in-app player to play content from a third-party platform,” some information about them is shared with Facebook or the third-party service. This includes IP address, the fact that one is a WhatsApp user, according to the new policy.
WhatsApp does elaborate on how the information exchange with Facebook will be utilised. This includes:
- helping improve infrastructure and delivery systems,
- understanding how WhatsApp’s Services or theirs (Facebook and other Facebook companies) are used;
- promoting safety, security and integrity across the Facebook Company Products, e.g., securing systems and fighting spam, threats, abuse, or infringement activities;
- improving Facebook’s services and users experiences around them, such as making suggestions for users (for example, of friends or group connections, or of interesting content), personalizing features and content, helping users complete purchases and transactions, and showing relevant offers and ads across the Facebook Company Products;
- providing integrations which enable users to connect their WhatsApp experiences with other Facebook Company Products. One example given is allowing users to connect their Facebook Pay account to pay for things on WhatsApp or enabling users to chat with with friends on other Facebook Company Products, such as Portal, by connecting the WhatsApp account.
WhatsApp has expanded on what happens when you delete your account, adding that deleting an account will not automatically result in all information being deleted and some of it might be stored for a longer time. It further adds, “Please remember that when you delete your account, it does not affect your information related to the groups you created or the information other users have relating to you, such as their copy of the messages you sent them.”
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.